What’s the secret to a celebrity’s beautiful, glowing skin? Kate Somerville. Stars swear by the skincare guru’s products and regularly flock to her impeccably decorated Melrose clinic, so we sat down with the beauty guru to get some one-on-one advice.
Kate Somerville is responsible for some of Hollywood's most beautiful faces.
This season, Somerville adds new beauty products to her arsenal, including a new anti-acne version of her cult-favorite DermalQuench (available in July), an Age Arrest Hydrating Firming Mask, and a RetAsphere Micro Peel (available in July), among others. Here are her tips for radiant, red carpet-ready skin. 8428 Melrose Pl., Ste. C, West Hollywood, 323-655-7546
1. Steam: Begin by steaming the face with a warm towel, which will refresh the skin, improve circulation, and open up pores.
2. Exfoliate: Turning over skin cells and removing the top layer of dead skin is essential. Somerville’s go-to product to get the job done? ExfoliKate, of course. ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment, Kate Somerville ($175). katesomerville.com
3. Hydrate: “If we’re not hydrated, our skin looks dull and our fine lines and wrinkles look deeper,” says Somerville. DermalQuench provides a deep hydration that will plump and lift the skin. DermalQuench Liquid Lift Advanced Wrinkle Treatment with HydraFill Complex, Kate Somerville ($95). katesomerville.com
4. Moisturize: The key ingredient to a good moisturizer is peptides, which will calm skin and lock in hydration.
5. Use Retinol: Incorporate a retinol product like Somerville’s RetAsphere Micro Peel (available in July) into your routine for an added boost. “It’s going to turn over skin cells a little faster so if you have any damage like brown spots, textural issues, or elasticity issues, it’s going to brighten the skin,” Sommerville says.
6. Apply Nourishing Makeup: IllumiKate’s SPF 50 is “just the icing,” she says. “It’s a hydrator and a moisturizer, but the coverage is phenomenal.” IlluminateKate CC Cream, Kate Somerville ($48). katesomerville.com
7. Tan: For that gorgeous, sun-kissed summer glow, Somerville points us to tanning towelettes. “It has a product that works with the proteins in your body to give you the color you would naturally get in the sun,” she says. Sommerville 360 Body Tanning Towelettes, Kate Somerville ($75). katesomerville.com