Top Manscaping Essentials
By Betsey McLain
1. Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Eye De-Puffer ($18.50). Late nights will go unnoticed with a sweep of this instantly cooling, lightweight, nongreasy formula. Arctic root and caffeine remove any evidence of fatigue and under-eye circles, while hibiscus extract reduces puffiness. 189 The Grove Dr., Los Angeles, 323-965-0569; kiehls.com
2. Molton Brown Re-charge Black Pepper Shave Oil ($29). Perfect for sensitive skin, this shave oil softens hairs and smooths the skin for an ultra-close shave, minimal razor burn and moisturized post-shave skin. South Coast Plaza, 3333 Bristol St., Costa Mesa, 714-549-5951; moltonbrown.com
3. Shaveworks The Cool Fix ($25). From Anthony Logistics For Men, this superhydrating post-shave formula contains the Boerhavia rootbased Mediacalm Complex, which soothes skin and reduces redness. (The Cool Fix can be applied immediately after shaving without stinging or burning.) Plus, its ingredients are time-released to keep up the fight against irritation and ingrown hairs for 12 hours. Sephora, Beverly Center, 8500 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, 310-657-9670; sephora.com
4. Jack Black’s Deep Detox Clay Mask/Spot Treatment ($25). Use as an allover mask to deep clean, purify and rejuvenate the skin with natural clays, certified-organic sea kelp, witch hazel and kaolin, or dab on as a spot treatment to heal blemishes. Apothia at Fred Segal, 118 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, 323-651-0239; getjackblack.com
5. John Varvatos Rock Volume One ($82). Channel your inner rocker with Varvatos’ latest eau de toilette inspired by the designer’s love of music and the legends of rock ’n’ roll. An edged-up version of his original eau de toilette, Rock Volume One hits all the right notes with hints of rose oil, coffee beans, vanilla and tobacco. Bloomingdale’s, Century City Shopping Center, 10250 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, 310-772-2100; johnvarvatosfragrance.com
LEFT: Jennifer Jason Leigh channels Old Hollywood glamour in Nars Black Moon eyeliner pencil.
Looks for the Book
François Nars made his mark on beauty history 15 years ago with an inaugural collection of 12 lipsticks with witty names like Funny Face, Heatwave and Jungle Red that often had little relation to their colors. In celebration of the company’s 15th anniversary and Nars’ clever take on product branding, the company launches a limited-edition book entitled 15x15. The book features 15 celebrities, each channeling a look inspired by an iconic image and a legendary Nars product (and, you guessed it, the book’s measurements are 15 inches by 15 inches). Think Amber Valletta as Catherine Deneuve in Belle de Jour wearing Belle de Jour lipstick; Isabella Rossellini in Misfit Duo eye shadow inspired by her movie Green Porno or model Tyson Ballou—influenced by Spartan warriors—wearing Monoi Body Glow II multipurpose beauty oil. With a foreword by Simon Doonan and proceeds from the book benefi ting the stars’ favorite charities, including AMFAR, Unicef and The World Wildlife Fund, the book will surely follow in the footsteps of many a Nars product and become an instant cult classic. The book is available for 30 days starting in mid-November at 15x15project.com, after which any remaining copies will be available at narscosmetics.com.
Fashion shoot: December 2013 issue of Los Angeles Confidential magazine.