Style According to Christian Siriano
By Christian Siriano
Outspoken fashion guru and Project Runway champ Christian Siriano shares his 10 tips for being your most-stylish Angeleno.
1. Whether it’s sunglasses, oversize bags or gladiator sandals, pick a signature look to help establish your inner diva this fall.
2. Shop with style: Dress casual and don’t overdo it when you’re heading out to the stores, even if you’re going to Chanel. No silky, stretchy, floor-length prom gowns that every girl bought from 5-7-9 in 2002. That look is definitely over! You’re going shopping, not to a black-tie event.
3. When shopping for a special occasion dress (hello, Emmys!) color is important, but make sure it complements your skin and brings out your best features, such as hair and eye color. For example, chartreuse looks gorgeous on dark, deep skin tones, while teal or turquoise is beautiful on fair complexions and blondes.
4. Not every LA fashionista can pull off the maxidress; short and sweet baby-doll dresses work just the same. We can’t all have a successful Mary-Kate moment (as much as we’d like to).
5. Skin is in, and the best way to have the perfect glow is not to go overboard with self-tanner. Always mix a bit of lotion into your self-tanner—it will blend better and make for a flawless finish.
6. Hair is important. Pay attention to sun damage, which can strip the fancy highlights you just got at the salon. To help the matter, every other day slick your hair back with Moroccan oil and be all about big, statement-making earrings.
7. Prints are always in but don’t overdo it with color, texture, beading and volume all at once. Take it one trend at a time, ladies. It’s a long year— there’s plenty of time to try them all.
8. Driving everywhere in the city can mean lots of meals, beverages or snacks on the go, so remember to keep an extra fabulous frock in that oversize Balenciaga bag, just in case your coffee makes its way onto your lap.
9. Accessories are a huge LA trend, but I say keep them to a minimum. Before you step out the door, take off one bangle, and you’ll be all set to go.
10. The weather is always amazing so there is no excuse to be anything but on-trend and in style at all times. Fashion should be fun, and LA is the perfect playground for experimentation. Take risks every day, and you’ll be well on your way to finding something that will make you the most fabulous Angeleno you can possibly be. Fierce!
Christian Siriano’s new book, Fierce Style: How to Be Your Most Fabulous Self (Grand Central Publishing; $23.99), hits bookstores next month.
Fashion shoot: December 2013 issue of Los Angeles Confidential magazine.