Car Watch: Aston Martin V8 Vantage S
By Adam Preskill
• Aston Martins are well known for being cool under pressure, thanks to their most famous driver—James Bond.
• This V8 engine doesn’t just purr, it sings, with a finely tuned exhaust system that puts out a signature “vocal exhaust note.”
• Activate the automatic door latch and “swan-wing” doors slide open and out in a graceful arc to grant entrance to the cabin—eat your heart out, gull-wing doors.
• Just as they have for nearly 100 years, Aston Martin assembles every vehicle by hand to ensure the highest quality, with features including a hand-stitched leather interior and hand-finished aluminum instruments.
• A car’s head-on view is its first impression, and the V8 Vantage S has the signature Aston Martin grille that instantly identifies it as the classic British sports car.
• The V8 Vantage S is so speedy and comfortable, you may even venture far enough from LA to need this optional, oh-so-British luxury feature: a built-in umbrella in the “boot.”
• Many new cars have done away with the key, but the V8 Vantage S takes push-button ignitions to the next level with an “Emotion Control Unit” of glass and polished stainless steel created with the look and feel of a fine watch.
• Aston Martins are meant for the active driver, and this model offers a new raceinspired, seven-speed paddle shifter with gear ratios designed to keep you on your toes.
• Ready to go on autopilot instead? Just turn on Auto-Drive and let the car’s computer pick the right gear or engage features like Hill Hold Assist, which holds the car still for up to two seconds when you’re stopped on a grade and take your foot off the brake.
• The Aston Martin brand was born for the track, and race versions of the Vantage have won championship races in Europe and Dubai.
• Along with the classic sports-coupe body, the V8 Vantage S is available as a convertible roadster that can match just about any other ragtop on the market for power and performance.
• If you put the pedal to the metal, hold onto your hat— the V8 Vantage S tops out at a pulse-pounding 189 miles per hour.